POSITON TITLE: Senior Library Manager
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Library Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Library Services
SALARY: Hiring range is $52,800 - $56,825 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience. The Library provides a competitive benefit package including medical, dental, and vision insurance with supplemental benefit options, NC Local Government Retirement System, and 401(k) employer contributions.
Performs difficult administrative work focused on the activities of the library system. The incumbent will be responsible for supervising employees in the Information Services Department and providing direct and indirect customer service to patrons. He or she will participate in goal setting, planning and implementing library activities, staff development, community outreach and other work as needed or assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans directs and monitors a variety of library services and programs
- Participates in the Manager on Duty (MOD) program and oversees scheduling and training for the MODs
- Serves as the head of the Information Services Department and manages the development and maintenance of the eBook collection. Will work one evening per week and one Saturday per month
- Participates in recruitment, hiring, training, supervising and evaluation of library employees
- Researches grant opportunities and participates in the writing and administration of grants
- Promotes community awareness of the library’s mission, goals, and services
- Promotes continuing education opportunities for all BML staff
- Participate as an active member of the library leadership team
- Assure that all patron requests are addressed in a respectful, courteous, and consistent manner and that complaints are resolved as quickly and positively as possible
- Will help develop and implement ongoing staff training on a variety of topics including customer service, safety and security, disaster preparedness, etc.
- Participates in ongoing professional development by attending conferences, workshops, and meetings, and reading professional literature to advance the library and library profession
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of modern library operation
- Ability to implement library policies fairly and consistently within a framework of preference for positive patron outcomes
- Considerable knowledge of online and print information resources & the ability to help patrons find accurate, timely, unbiased resources to meet their information needs
- Ability to hire, train, supervise and evaluate staff in an effective and efficient manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library patrons, associates, and the general public.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and proficient computer skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to accept supervision in a courteous and proactive manner
Education and experience
Master of Library Science degree (MLS/MLIS accredited degree). Minimum three years’ experience in public libraries with minimum of one year supervisory experience. Must have or have the ability to attain a North Carolina Public Librarian Certificate.
Work is typically performed while sitting, standing, bending crouching, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light objects and occasionally lifts heavy objects up to 40lbs. Work has standard vision requirement (with or without correction), ability to speak clearly and sufficient hearing to perceive information at normal spoken word levels (with or without correction).
This description and/or job requirements are subject to change at any time
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com