What is the Literacy Council?
- The Twin Counties Literacy Council (TCLC) is a private, non-profit organization affiliated with ProLiteracy America.
- The aim of TCLC is to provide literacy instruction to adults 16 and older with limited reading or speaking skills so they can participate more fully in society.
- To this end, TCLC recruits, trains, and supports volunteers from all walks of life who provide free, one-to-one or small group tutoring in reading to those in need.
- In Nash and Edgecombe counties, TCLC works closely with public libraries, churches, and community programs. Many provide high interest/low reading level materials, as well as places to tutor and train tutors. Librarians in our area refer potential tutors and students to TCLC. We also work closely with established literacy programs in eastern North Carolina.
You Can Make A Difference in Someone’s Life
- Hundreds of adults in Nash and Edgecombe counties lack the necessary reading skills to successfully cope in today’s society. Many of them seek help throughout literacy council. A number of them are referred to us.
- The waiting list for prospective students continues to grow. We need your help as a tutor to meet the demand for our services.
Become a Literacy Tutor
- Join men and women from a variety of backgrounds who are giving their time to teach other adults to read.
- Volunteers learn to teach by attending a 12-hour workshop given by the professional staff of TCLC. Each tutor is then matched with a single student or a small group, who meet once a week for 1½ to 2 hours at a time.
Who Are TCLC Students?
- They are your neighbors . . . white, black, native and foreign-born, young, old, from urban, suburban and rural areas.
- They are adults, over the age of 18, or young adults, 16 -18, no longer in high school who are non-readers, or read below the fifth grade level, or speak some English and want to read English, or lack the language skills needed to function effectively.
You Can Also Help by Contributing
- Your special skills, such as marketing the organization, recruiting tutors and students, preparing students for GED, testing, etc.
- Funds to support our work.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, contact
Bertha K. Haynes, Director
Twin Counties Literacy Council
727 South Grace Street
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
877-398-5576 or 252-442-1511