POSITION TITLE: Branch Library Circulation Associate
BRANCH: Middlesex Public Library; Middlesex, NC
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: County Services
Hours: 12 hours per week (some evening & weekend hours)
Salary: $11 per hour
The Branch Library Circulation Associate is responsible for providing circulation services for customers at the Branches of Braswell Memorial Library. This position is responsible for providing a high level of customer service for library patrons. This employee primarily works the public service desk in a branch library and occasionally in the main library. This employee reports to the Assistant Director and coordinates activities with other departments and managers as required.
The ideal candidate:
- Will provide outstanding customer service.
- Will be able to work independently but be skilled at keeping managers informed and coordinating with other staff.
- Will have a friendly demeanor and excellent attitude.
Performance is evaluated through regular progress meetings with management and through observations for soundness of judgment, initiative, innovation, efficiency, and attitude.
POSITION EXPECTATIONS: The purpose of this position is to provide excellent customer service at a Branch of Braswell Memorial Public Library.
The Branch Library Circulation Associate:
- Works at a public service desk in a Branch Library to include:
- Opening and closing the Branch Library
- Check in, check out, renewing, and placing holds on materials
- Answer patron questions, provide reader’s advisory services, and assist patrons in finding materials and otherwise helping meeting their needs
- Issue new library cards and maintain patron accounts
- Collect fines and fees and perform daily cash handling procedures
- Assist patrons with using library computers and other library technology
- Ability to use library automation system correctly and efficiently
- Coordinates closely with other departments in delivering excellent customer service
- Performs light housekeeping and maintenance in the Branch Library to insure a safe and orderly environment.
- Supports and follows library policies, procedures, goals, and objectives.
- Assists with publicizing Branch Library programs and services and supporting same at the Branch Library.
- Works and attends training and other activities in the Main Library or other Branches as required
- Performs other duties as required
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work is typically performed while sitting, standing, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light objects, occasionally lifts heavy objects, uses equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and must be able to distinguish shades of color.
The Branch Library Circulation Associate position requires these minimum qualifications:
- High School graduate required, Associate’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of one year of customer service experience.
- Possession of, or an ability to obtain, a valid driver’s license issued by the State of North Carolina for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Pass a computer/technology competency exam
- Positively interact with a diverse clientele
- Interpret and communicate library policies and procedures
- Accomplish detail-oriented tasks
- Solve problems and make sound decisions
- Promote a congenial and respectful workplace environment
- General customer service concepts
- Basic computer literacy skills including use of Microsoft Windows and the Internet
Braswell Memorial Library is a customer service focused institution.
Deadline: Open until filled
To Apply: Interested persons must send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com